Suggestions regarding Image Editor Keyboard Accessibility

James William Yoon jyoon at ocad.ca
Fri Aug 12 18:26:05 UTC 2011

This is quite the discussion you've spawned off, Pulkit! ;)

My thoughts:

You'll want to make your interactions consistent and seamless between the
regular markup and canvas elements. In particular, if the user is expected
to tab through the controls outside the canvas element (i.e., tab through
the crop/resize/tag tabs, and through the options within each), the user
should be able to tab into and through the controls within the canvas.
Similarly, if you're allowing the user to arrow through the controls outside
the canvas element, they should be allowed to arrow through the controls
within the canvas element too.

The larger point of all this is to make sure that you're thinking of this
image editor as a single environment, because that's exactly how the user
will be thinking of it--they're not going to see the difference between
"html elements here and canvas elements there".

Not sure if that was entirely helpful, but those are the lines I'd be
thinking around.

Cheers,
James