Fwd: Suggestions regarding Image Editor Keyboard Accessibility

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 01:18:26 UTC 2011

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Johnny Taylor <johnny at abledaccess.com>
*Date:* 11 August, 2011 6:54:56 PM EDT
*To:* Colin Clark <colinbdclark at gmail.com>
*Cc:* Jonathan Hung <jhung at ocad.ca>, Pulkit Goyal <pulkit110 at gmail.com>,
Fluid Work <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>, James Yoon <jyoon at ocad.ca>
*Subject:* *Re: Suggestions regarding Image Editor Keyboard Accessibility*

As for me, and my Photoshop experience, it's been an interesting ride.
Especially now that I'm evaluating my habits so intently.

I started by using the mouse keys, nearly exclusively -- I'd navigate to any
spot on the screen I needed to interact with and control it via the keypad.
Much like a mouse. Because, honestly, I haven't the most precise control of
my fingers -- spacially speaking. I find the trackpad on my MacBookPro
incredibly awkward to use, most times. I can use it to move to any spot on
the screen and click, once, but as for most of the gestures in Lion, not
that I've tried nor am I in a hurry to, forget about it.

But as my recovery progressed I switched to the mouse and used it in the
exact same manner. Go to any spot on the screen and do what I needed to do.
Thinking it through right now, there's another reason for that. Since my
dexterity is impaired and I typically only use one hand -- Photoshop is the
exception, I'll break out my pinky on my left hand for those situations
where a modifier plus a click is required -- I need to shift my eyes, when
I'm working, down to the keyboard, to see what I'm doing, then back up to
the screen again. It's time consuming. When I'm working in Photoshop, I tend
to use the mouse exclusively, and don't much look away from the screen.
Where as when I type I rarely look away from the keyboard.

But you're looking to do both. I say keep the need to look at what you're
doing on the keyboard with you're hand at the bare minimum. A users eyes
need to be focused on the screen. Using the arrow keys as much as you can,
in my mind, is a primary goal. If I don't need to look at what I'm pushing
(on the keyboard), which I don't when using the arrow keys, I can't imagine
a lot of people would. Honestly, not that this is practical, I have
significant issues with having to use the tab key, too. One step at a time.

That's my advice? Do all that is possible with those 4 keys. Which
essentially means, limit both a persons need to stray too far from that
point on a keyboard and having to take their eyes off the screen.

Johnny

johnny at abledaccess.com
http://abledaccess.com
And the solution is inclusion...