Suggestions regarding Image Editor Keyboard Accessibility

Pulkit Goyal pulkit110 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 09:31:54 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

I have implemented the key board accessibility feature for the CropperUI
component. For now, it works as follows:

When the user starts cropping, he is presented with a bounding box inside
the canvas. The canvas is tabbable. The user can use tab to select the
canvas and then activate it. After activation, the user can use the tab key
to switch between different resize handles of the bounding box and then
resize them using the keyboard arrow keys. The following screen shots should
make it more clear:

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

The question that arises here is, since the tab key is used for switching
between the selection handles (after the canvas is activated), the user
can't tab to other components on the screen using keyboard. I haven't been
able to decide on which solution would the best for this? Would it be better
to have some other key to switch between the selection handles? Or is it
better to have a special key (e.g. escape) to shift the focus out of canvas
and switch back to original keyboard handlers?

I look forward to hearing suggestions about the keyboard accessibility. I am
open to hearing new ideas about additional keyboard shortcuts as well.

Thanks.

 --
Regards
Pulkit