[opinion suggested] keyboard control for the videoPlayer

charly molter charly.molter at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 17:41:45 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,
I've did quite a lot of progress recently on the videoPlayer and I'm
currently trying to add some keyboard control to it.
I need your help to try to find the best and more obvious ones with
bearing in mind a notion of accessibility.
So these are the few rules I've imposed:
- Only one key at a time (no Shift+something) that is mainly because
combination of keys can be hard
- No usage of the numeric pad (many laptop haven't got one)
- The keys should be obvious.

Here is what I've fought for the moment :
play/pause : "p"
volume + : "+"
volume - : "-" (these really need to change indeed on a azerty apple
Keyboard they both need shift and I'm sure azerty is not the only
keyboard that need it)
fullscreen on/off: "f"
captions on/off: "c"
video forward: "t" (this has been chosen as it is often next to the "r" key)
video rewind: "r"

for the volume change and video change I thought about using right,
left, up and down + shift for eg but the combination of keys doesn't
seem really accessible to me.
What's your opinion?
I'm open to any kind of suggestion so please don't hesitate

Best Regards
--
Charly Molter