Next steps for Infusion AEGIS conference demos

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 19:54:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Jan will be presenting about Fluid Infusion next week at the AEGIS conference in Seville. He'll also be giving a demo of the new accessibility work we've be doing for Progress and Inline Edit.

Here's a link to some information about the conference:

http://www.aegis-conference.eu/

We're deep in the midst of getting these new demos ready. Here's a summary of our priorities and what we're up to:

1. Golam has started implementing Jonathan's new Progress demo. The plan is to test specifically with Jan's demo environment--NVDA, Firefox, and Windows--throughout the development process. Anastasia is going to give Golam a hand with getting up and running in the incubator and with the standard Infusion demo structure. Here's the link again to Jonathan's wireframe:

http://source.fluidproject.org/svn/design/infusion/infusion-demo-redesign/Progress.png

2. Mike and Justin's recent work on adding both an Edit and a Save button to Inline Edit has opened up a really interesting interaction can of worms. I'll send a follow-up email describing the issues in detail. We've come up with a few variations on this approach that will probably work better for all users. Jonathan is in the midst of sketching out a new wireframe which will include visible instructions about how to use Inline Edit. This should be ready tomorrow, and Justin and Mike will start implementing it then.

3. Justin and Mike have broken down the various development tasks for implementing these Inline Edit changes, and it's looking like they should have things implemented by end of tomorrow. They've tasked both a version with visible instructions and with a hidden aria-describedby label.

4. In order to be able to compare the various scenarios, we're going to back out the current changes to Inline Edit from trunk. Instead, we'll create a few side-by-side branches in the incubator area of SVN, each of which will be Web-visible. The Progress demo will also start as a branch in the incubator.

5. When we've got things stabilized for the demo, we'll freeze the appropriate incubator branches so that Jan will have a reliable and unchanging code base to showcase.