FLUID-3671 Screen reader a11y and usability issues with Progress (esp. lack of feedback for screen reader users)

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 21:00:47 UTC 2010

Hi Jonathan,

I'm sure Golam will have some ideas as well, but here are few from me...

On 2010-09-28, at 4:25 PM, Jonathan Hung wrote:
> I'm trying to understand the use case for these two modes aside from the fact that ValueNow helps overcome a bug in NVDA.
>
> Why would a implementor want to use valuenow over valuetext? What benefits does it yield?

One use case from the user's perspective:

A screen reader user might want to hear progress information in a less "chatty" way. In JAWS, aria-valuenow is read as just an increasing series of numbers, and NVDA actually uses ascending tones instead of speaking text. Both scenarios might be more desirable than the verbose description of progress offered by aria-valuetext.

And one from the implementer's perspective:

There might be more going on in the application than can be fully conveyed by aria-valuetext. A random example off the top of my head--Ubuntu's installation process includes helpful explanations (with screenshots) about how to use the OS while it is in the midst of installing. These hints change periodically as the install progresses. An application may prefer to convey this more in-depth progress information via a Live Region that updates based on progress events, and keep the actual progress information quite simple.

Hope this helps,