Inactive UI components and WCAG 2 compliance

E.J. Zufelt everett at zufelt.ca
Tue Oct 12 15:09:05 UTC 2010

Good morning Jonathan,

I would interpret this portion of WCAG as being not in the best interest of accessibility.

Without justified cause, an inactive (disabled) UI component should still have perceivable text, for all if there is text that is perceivable to some.

We do not know the ways in which access to this text, even if the UI control  is disabled, may contribute to the user experience of the form.  If we indeed want the UI control to be imperceivable Then we can hide it so that nobody uses it to build better context for the UI of the form.

HTH,
Everett Zufelt
Accessibility Consultant & Web Developer

Web
http://zufelt.ca
Phone (toll free U.S. & Canada)
1-877-ZUFELT-8 (1-877-983-3588)