HTML5 Uploader screen reader testing: Jaws

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 16:26:09 UTC 2010

Hi Anastasia,

Working my way through your findings backwards, comments and questions below...

On 2010-11-15, at 11:03 AM, Cheetham, Anastasia wrote:

> Jaws 11 + FF3.6
>
> Virtual PC Cursor ON
> ============
> Tabbing though the interface, Jaws will read the "switch" link, but nothing else

I've just given Uploader's container a role of application, which should help. Let me know how it goes.

> Virtual PC Cursor OFF
> =============
> Tabbing though the interface, no files in queue:
> Tab from the 'switch to simple' link to the file queue:  Jaws says "Tab, queue of files to upload, table"

This sounds pretty good to me. Does it give you any indication that the queue is currently empty, though?

> Tab to the browse button, Jaws says "browse, button, to activate press space bar"
> Browse, pick a file, open it: "Upload button, to activate press space bar"

These both seem correct. Is that your impression?

> Now that the queue has a file, tab to it and Jaws says "<file name> <file size> remove file"

It seems to me that we should provide instructions to the user on how to remove a file. I believe the "remove file" part of what you're hearing is the alt text on the remove button. To delete a file with the keyboard, you need to press the Delete key on the keyboard. Perhaps we should include that instruction?

> Delete a file with the delete button:  "blank <file name (of newly focused file)> <file size> remove file"

Hmm. This one is really interesting. Will take a look.

> With focus on the upload button hit Enter: hear "Stop upload, to activate press space bar, progress is complete"
> Trying again with more files: "Stop upload, to activate press space bar, progress is x% complete... progress is y% complete... progress is z% complete..."
>   (note that it never says "progress is complete")

Have you tested with various file sizes? Is it perhaps an issue with very small files? We'll need to fix this either way, but it would be great to get a sense of how it behaves with large vs. small files.