[Decapod] A change in UI orientation (see attached images)

James William Yoon james.yoon at utoronto.ca
Tue Mar 16 16:42:15 UTC 2010

Hey Jonathan,

I like the lack of clutter and spaciousness of your designs! Regarding the
thumbnail navigator though: I prefer your original design of having it run
vertically instead of horizontally.

My reason why:

It's good to take a few steps back and look at the big picture of what the
user's priorities are at this screen. My guess is that this screen is used
primarily for capture + review, so the user's priority at this point is
probably more around *reviewing* the last capture than *finding or managing*
previous captures.

Assuming that the captures are of portrait-oriented pages (the case for most
books, I would imagine) and that the review will be of single pages, the
horizontal orientation takes space away from reviewing a capture.

So the question really becomes this: for your capture + review use case, is
the usefulness you get from increasing the number of visible thumbnails
(say, three or four more in a stack of hundreds) worth the decrease in your
review space (say, a 1/3 loss)?

Or, another question: is there a way you can have your cake and eat it too?
(see attached image in filename sequence)

Cheers,
James