Fluid Engage: Issue with static text accessibility

Svetoslav Nedkov snedkov at asteasolutions.com
Mon Mar 8 14:55:42 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Last week I took the oportunity to work on one of the accessibility
issues with code entry screen:

http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/ENGAGE-392

Here is what I found:

Empty static text like <span></span> is not read by VoiceOver even given
a tabindex and a aria-label attribute. The case is that this element
needs a relevant ARIA role. However it seems that no suitable role is
supported for static text. I found a table of supported ARIA roles in
Safari that is somewhat outdated (from March last year):

http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/aria-tests/ARIA-MACRoleTests.html

I couldn't find a newer support table. Can someone help with this?

Also when the static text is updated it retains its previous value
(blank, not read by VoiceOver) as it is described here:

http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/ENGAGE-427

This prevents the code from being read once it is entered.

I hope that somebody has some insight on how to correct these issues.

Regards,

Svetoslav