Engage 0.3 QA testing - testing the "fast one"

James William Yoon james.yoon at utoronto.ca
Sat Mar 6 18:49:26 UTC 2010

Hello everyone,

We're doing a *full QA test* of Engage 0.3 again, as there have been
many changes and updates since our last QA cycle, most notably around
increasing its performance.

The instructions are the same as the last full QA test:

*I. Testing Process*

To participate, just follow along the testing process:

1) *Decide on a configuration to test*
   - The four configurations are listed below these instructions
   - Ultimately, we need each configuration tested, so let me know (cc
the list) which configuration you'll be testing to make sure we have all
our bases covered

2) *Set up your device with Engage 0.3*
   - Go to
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Getting+started+with+Fluid+Engage+0.3+testing
for instructions
   - There are two sets of instructions: one for setting up your device
w/out VoiceOver, and one w/ VoiceOver (VoiceOver is the iPhone/iPod
touch's built-in screen reader)
   - If you're doing VoiceOver testing but have never used VoiceOver
before, be sure to read the short VO tutorial on that page

3) *Run through the test plans*
   - The test plans are under "Fluid Engage 0.3" on the right side here:
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Testing+Fluid+Components
   - There are 10 sets of plans (from "General and states" up to "My
collection"): run through all sets
   - In addition to the expected behavior outlined in the test plan, use
the wireframes
(http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Mobile+wireframes%2C+draft+9) and
storycards (there's one for each category of screens) as a design reference

4) *Report bugs and issues*
   - *Email me while cc-ing the list with bugs and issues that you've
run into. Please use the subject line: "FE 0.3 bug(s): /short
subject/description/"*
   - Please be specific about how to replicate the bug, and which
configuration you're testing
   - *IMPORTANT*: The test plans instruct you to search for and file the
issue in JIRA if it doesn't already exist--you *DO NOT* need to do this.
Instead, email me + the list with the discovered bugs

*II. Testing Configurations & Environments*

We'll be *testing Engage 0.3 in four configurations*:
1) In English, w/out VO
2) In English, w/ VO
3) In French, w/out VO
4) In French, w/ VO

For *testing without VoiceOver*, you'll need one of:
- An iPhone 3G or 3GS w/ iPhone OS 3.0 or higher
- An iPod touch 1G, 2G, or 3G w/ iPhone OS 3.0 or higher
[You can also use the latest version of Apple's iPhone Simulator,
available through the iPhone SDK]

For *testing with VoiceOver*, you'll need one of:
- An iPhone 3GS w/ iPhone OS 3.0 or higher
- An iPod touch 32 GB or 64 GB (Fall 2009 or later) w/ iPhone OS 3.0 or
higher

If you don't have a device, but want *to just try it out* (but not run
through the formal test plans), you'll need:
- Apple Safari 4 or higher

If you have any questions about getting set up, the test plans, or the
expected behavior of the application, email/IM me or the list and
someone will be more than happy to help.

Cheers,
James