Keyboard accessibility: changing tab order

E.J. Zufelt everett at zufelt.ca
Wed Jan 27 21:04:26 UTC 2010

On 27-Jan-10, at 3:08 PM, Colin Clark wrote:

> Hi Everett,
>
> Yes, I completely agree that focus should follow the visual flow of
> the page. It can be so confusing for everyone when the tab order
> bounces around the page incomprehensibly.
>
> As for the target platform for Decapod: the command line image
> processing routines at the heart of Decapod are built and tested on
> Linux. For a local client/server installation, we'll assume Linux
> with a modern, capable browser. That probably means Firefox, but as
> with everything Fluidic, we're trying to support a good range of A-
> grade browsers.

* It would seem to me then that the UI should be tested, at the least,
for accessibility with Orca and the magnification application for
gnome (or any other windowing environment anticipated to be used),
with Firefox.  I would recommend user testing with users who are
familiar with these ATs, but also with users who are not familiar with
these ATs, as there is a good chance that an individual using this
product may be unfamiliar with the linux environment.  Since keyboard
commands are reasonably similar for most screen-readers (with some
exceptions) it would be reasonable to assume that a screen-reader user
would be able to acclimate themself to the new AT with little
difficulty.  Perhaps this is already in the plans.