Keyboard accessibility: changing tab order

Boyan Sheytanov boyan.sheytanov at asteasolutions.com
Wed Jan 27 12:12:51 UTC 2010

Hi all!

I was trying to force the following tab order of the elements in Capture for
Decapod: thumbnail item, take picture button, fix, compare, export. Since
the buttons are <a> elements, they were easily ordered (having assigned them
positive values for 'tabindex'). However, they do not seem to respond to
pressing the Enter key. Additionally, the thumbnail item is a <li> element
and the only valid values for the tabindex property are -1 or 0 (correct me
if I am wrong here). These make the element focusable or part of the default
tab order but I cannot find a way to make it the first element of the tab
order.

My question is what is the 'proper' way to modify tab order and enable
keyboard navigation in accessible web applications.

Greetings,

Boyan