ENGAGE-284 | Language selection

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 03:46:53 UTC 2010

Hi Andrea,

I took a look at your patch. You've got a nice start here.

Big picture issues to think about:
 * Language selection is closely related to the user work Sveto has implemented. It occurs to me that the language selection screen is going to be the very first time we meet most users--this is probably the best time to create a record for the user and store their language preference. Can you work with Sveto to move the code he's got for handling users in to a more general spot that you can use?

* We'll want to dynamically generate the list of languages based on the museum. Some museums will have content in only one language (bypassing the need for this screen), while others like McCord will have multiple languages. For the Home screen, I started to sketch something out but haven't yet had a chance to commit it to the repository. Can you build your component so that it renders from sample data like this? Here's what I was thinking the museum document would look like for McCord:

{
   "_id": "mccord",
   "_rev": "1-b7cf5fa17688439515f77a9c14b2275f",
   "type": "fluid.engage.docs.museum",
   "name": "McCord Museum",
   "languages": [
       "en",
       "fr"
   ],
   "lat": 43.662424,
   "long": -79.441134
}

Smaller details:
 * You've got .flc-screenNavigator-backButton classes attached to both links, the English and the French. Class names that start with flc- tend to be unique to a particular component, so you're going to want to make your own. If you're using it to select several of the language links, perhaps flc-languageSelection-links might be appropriate?

* You've wrapped fluid.engage.setCookie() fluid.engage.getCookie() in your own private getter/setter functions, but they don't seem to do anything. You can remove that code and use the methods provided in engageClientUtils.js directly.

* We tend to prefer the use of script blocks in the HTML over calls to jQuery.ready() wherever possible.

I hope this helps,

Colin