The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation restructuring and Fluid, Fluid Engage and Decapod

Jutta Treviranus jutta.treviranus at utoronto.ca
Fri Jan 15 23:09:40 UTC 2010

Dear Fluid Community,

Many of you have heard the news regarding the restructuring within
The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation. Mellon is merging the RIT program
with the Scholarly Communications program and, sadly, Ira Fuchs and
Chris Mackie will be leaving the foundation. A recent article in the
Chronicle covered this transition:
http://chronicle.com/blogPost/In-Potential-Blow-to/19519/ .

As you know Fluid Engage and Decapod are currently funded through
this program. We were officially informed of the change on December
18, 2009 (see message copied below). We were informed that our
projects have been transferred to the Scholarly Communications
program, under Don Waters. Don Waters and Helen Cullyer have begun
the process of getting to know the projects. We have also discussed
the next round of funding for Fluid Engage. We do not anticipate that
the restructuring will affect Fluid, Fluid Engage or Decapod as they
address the core objectives that The Andrew W. Mellon  Foundation is
reaffirming through this restructuring. Don has assured us that our
current support from the foundation will not be affected.

As is the case with other RIT projects, the Fluid Project has been
working on strategies for long term sustainability that do not depend
on funding from Mellon. One step we have taken is to  form a
not-for-profit, charitable organization called the Fluid Foundation.
We will be exploring a number of ways to raise ongoing support for
the work of Fluid not covered by funded projects such as Fluid
Engage. We have also been successful in receiving grants from both
the provincial and federal government in Canada to cover some of the
central costs of Fluid over the next five years.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions or concerns.

all the best,
Jutta