Notes from a chat with a blind museum visitor on museum experience, kiosk accessibility

Clayton H Lewis Clayton.Lewis at Colorado.EDU
Thu Jan 14 21:38:27 UTC 2010

great stuff!
much fits with what I got at the denver art museum, especially this
piece:

How do you connect with content, as a blind visitor?
   - With a really good, *detailed* explanation
   - Want to know about the backstory: what led the artist to... why
was it made... what was the artist trying to convey...
   - Used to think paintings weren't a good medium for him; but U1's
opinion changing on this: a good description goes a long way

it would be easy to imagine that blind people would get nothing from
an art museum, but we now have at least two people explaining why
that's not right, and calling for stuff that we can really help
museums to provide, namely more in depth background

On Jan 13, 2010, at 2:11 PM, James William Yoon wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Alison and I spent time today at the ROM with a blind museum visitor
> who related his insights about museum experience and kiosk
> accessibility to us. I've put up our notes here:
>
> http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Notes+from+chat+with+blind+user+about+museum+experience+%28January+13%2C+2010%29
>
> Cheers,
> James

Clayton Lewis
Professor of Computer Science
Scientist in Residence, Coleman Institute for Cognitive Disabilities
University of Colorado
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~clayton