kiosk content arranged - pre-meeting content

Jess Mitchell jess at jessmitchell.com
Thu Jan 14 19:56:41 UTC 2010

Dear All,

I'm going to miss the kiosk meeting today, but I put together a very large OmniGraffle file in SVN under Design>Engage>Kiosk>stencils.  Download that file before the meeting and have a look.  All of the images from that file are also in SVN in their largest format living in Design>Engage>Kiosk>DIA_background -- also for your download.  The OmniGraffle is not a wireframe -- think of it as a visual information architecture.

This file and the large images are meant to get us started with content while also clarifying the basic vocabulary of what we're working with:
Theme - Themes are cross-cutting topics that are made up of a number of Galleries (e.g. Identity the theme has 6 Galleries in it)
Gallery - This is an architectural phenomenon, usually a room, that naturally houses related objects.  Those objects are related through a narrative summary panel on one wall of the gallery (approx. 150 words) and also they are related around the gallery's big idea.  The following are galleries: Medici, native american, african american.
Big Idea - This is what all the objects in the gallery are related to, how they're connected... (e.g. from the last sentence of the summary panel: The art in this room challenged the ways African Americans were portrayed in mainstream American culture and countered racist imagery.)
Object -- An individual piece of art.

The metaphor that Matt from the DIA used was that the Gallery is a planet around which the objects rotate (moons) and then the solar system is the theme.

I'm quite confident that this articulation of information, the content that the DIA has shared with us, and the OmniGraffle file above all will help us evolve the version 4 kiosk wireframes.

A few things that we need to keep in mind:
listing the time of the tour is helpful
showing popularity of tours chosen or printed out is interesting to them
we don't need to order (by number) the galleries in the map -- free-form map cues on the level of proximity and situating is as far as they want to go (perhaps with a "you are here")
- we need to spend some time thinking about the metaphor/first screen for the kiosk that gives the visitor a clear sense of what they can do with the kiosk...
- we need to spend some time thinking through making the interface accessible (meaning audio options for text and text descriptions for images)  also look at James' notes from his visit to the ROM yesterday.

And keep this in mind:
We're hoping that this inspires and excites and makes connections that visitors might not have made themselves.  The DIA is organized in an unconventional way -- and this kiosk is an opportunity to let visitors glance at how that organization is connected through ideas...

Best,
Jess

Jess Mitchell
Boston, MA, USA