[Decapod] Updated design for thumbnails (before and after image dewarp)

Jonathan Hung jonathan.hung at utoronto.ca
Tue Jan 12 17:47:51 UTC 2010

Hi Boyan,

I'm trying to explain this as best as I can, but the issue is subtle and
complex. Let me know if it doesn't make sense.

My comments inline.

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 4:43 AM, Boyan Sheytanov <
boyan.sheytanov at asteasolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi Jonathan!
>
> What I did not understand from the new design is whether a thumbnail item
> shows two images side by side or a single image of the page spread.

In the new concept, the thumbnail of the dewarped spread is just a pair of
thumbnail images for left and right grouped together. The user will interact
with them as a pair.

And another question popped up - what if the user does want to delete only
> one of the pages in the spread (e.g. the left blank page on the book title
> spread at the beginning of the book).

I think we should allow him to do so, but probably in the remastering phase
> so that Capture screen where the automatic dewarping takes place stays
> simple and clear.

The problem here is if the user deletes one of the pages from a spread, and
then decides to add it back in later.

This would produce a duplicate facing page since Decapod captures the full
spread.

The user can delete the duplicate manually, but they may forget (very likely
if over multiple sessions).

The software / UI can deal with this, but this requires the UI to somehow
keep page associations and make the proper connections to recaptured pages.

By dealing with pages as a pair and performing actions on that pair, it
simplifies the interactions and the UI, but we'd lose the flexibility of
working on a more atomic level.

I don't know if I'm making this clear.

> And yet another question related to development - which wireframes should I
> be looking at while implementing Fix image in Capture and improving Capture
> itself? I am currently looking at those for the 0.5y deliverable. Should I
> update on the new ones you post?

The 0.5y wireframe is what you should be using for development right now.

Thanks Boyan!

- Jonathan.