FLUID-3305 bug parade component | patch review

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 22:01:05 UTC 2010

Hi Andrea,

Nice work on this! I've committed your patch at r8971. One thing I
noticed was that the infusion external wasn't set up correctly,
causing paths not to work, so I also corrected this.

Some further feedback:

* I noticed that this code only works from a Web server, even in
standalone mode. This is because Joan is using jQuery's $.get()
convenience method, which doesn't allow you to specify a content type
for the data returned. When loaded off the file system, the XML
document is returned as a string, not a real jQuery instance. Using
$.ajax() and setting the dataType option should do the trick.

* Once you've got it working straight off the file system, you can
probably remove the explicit standaloneMode option and just check
window.location.protocol to see if it's "file:"

* Joan has some duplicate code to make Ajax calls to the server, which
required you to write the same boilerplate checks for the
standaloneMode option in duplicate as well. Perhaps you can factor
these out so they use the same underlying function instead?

Other than that, I think this is shaping up pretty nicely. We've still
got a blocking issue before we can actually start using this
component: the work Michelle was doing to generalize Kettle so that it
can be used for non-Engage code. Here's the JIRA ticket she was
working against:

http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/ENGAGE-208

Perhaps she can update us on the status of this--I think she had to
set it aside to work on more immediate concerns, but it may be close
to done.

Colin