Naming convention for wiki/svn/etc...

James William Yoon james.yoon at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 6 20:08:23 UTC 2010

Also, on a related topic:

We've been confusingly using the following words interchangeably within the
design space for some time now: iteration, draft, version, revision. In
fact, in the wiki, we used all three of iteration, draft, and version to
indicate a design cycle in different places (in mobile we used "draft", in
the kiosk wiki titles we used "iteration", and in the kiosk filenames we
used "version").

My suggestion would be to standardized across the board and use the
following definitions.

ITERATION:
Our two-week design planning iterations (e.g., the current iteration,
iteration 13, is from January 5-19).

DRAFT:
One cycle of design (e.g., we recently finished draft 4 of our kiosk
wireframes/design, and draft 8 of our mobile wireframes).

VERSION:
The production release of the product (e.g., Engage version 0.3 will be
released at the end of next month).

REVISION:
The file revision number used by svn (e.g., 8905 is the latest revision of
file x in the repository). This is rarely referred to.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
James