Generalizing the File Uploader - Work Queue component

Jonathan Hung jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 17:53:16 UTC 2010

Hi everyone.

In Decapod the user can select a number of book projects to export to PDF or
TIFF. Since the export process can take a very long time (on scale of
hours), we need an interface that displays work progress and a way for users
to interact with the queue.

In mocking up the interface, I realized it had many of the qualities of a
File Uploader:
- a queue of items to be processed
- a progress / status indication
- add items to the queue
- stop, cancel, delete work in a queue

I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the Uploader to create this
interface for Decapod? I'm calling it a Work Queue pattern, but maybe
there's a better term.

- Jonathan.

---
Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
Fluid Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
Tel: (416) 946-3002