Update on 1.2 testing

Michelle D'Souza michelle.dsouza at utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 14 14:30:42 UTC 2010

On 13-Apr-10, at 11:40 PM, Colin Clark wrote:

> Would it not be sufficient to write a unit test that shows the bug
> without the patch and passes once the patch had been applied?

Hi Colin,

Interestingly it was actually an existing test that caught the bug.
Which is good but points to a hole in our infrastructure. We depend on
people to run the automated tests instead of the tests being run upon
commit or during the nightly build. We've known that this is an issue
for a long time but never quite found the time to rectify it. So this
time around *4* of us - the bug fixer, the two independent reviewers
(I'm one of them) and the QA tester didn't run the unit tests. And all
of us like unit tests and generally run them - but we were crunched
and rushed so it slipped through. Luckily that final testing did catch
the slip and the test is passing again with the patch Justin created.

Michelle