Adding support for CKEditor 3.x to Inline Edit (was Re: CKEditor)

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 23:19:34 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I've added support for CKEditor 3.x to the Rich Text Inline Editor. The patch is attached to this ticket:

One bug I'm encountering: even when a user doesn't make any changes to the text, our HTML normalization code doesn't seem to work quite right for CKEditor. As a result, the undo widget will always appear after saving, regardless of whether the text actually changed. This strikes me as a fairly minor, though annoying, issue. Thoughts?

This patch also includes some refactoring of InlineEditIntegrations.js, hopefully for the better. There's still more we could do. In particular, we might want to separate out each Inline Edit flavour into a separate file to keep download times low. Opinions? Should we do this for Infusion 1.2, or wait for the next release? This is a user-facing change, so we may want to do it sooner rather than later.

I also think there's an opportunity to define a more formal interface for rich text editors. There's now clearly a pattern for how we use each of them: create an editor, get the editor associated with an edit field, and get/set values on the editor. I have only peripherally addressed this with the new shared makeViewAccessor() function, but it's not particularly well-implemented yet. So, another question: refactor now, or wait for the next release? This is not user-facing, so it could wait.

Assuming we like this new CKEditor support, I think we can deprecate support for the old FCKEditor. We can also switch to Yura's CDN version of CKEditor and boot the rather bulky FCKEditor source code from our repository.

Colin