SVN - naming convention

tona monjo tonamonjo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 20:45:35 UTC 2009

Hi everybody,

I agree with Vicki in trying to keep file names as simple as possible, while
maintaining the essential data. I'm afraid that if we create too complex
codes, it will be harder to maintain consistency.

I wouldn't neither include the date or the author to the name, because in
this case we would be cloning files (each new version would have a different
date). And for authors and following the example, if Vicky worked later
on 10-21-09_FE_wireframe-sketches_kiosk-v4_JM-VM_1.jpg, she would create a
new file named 10-21-09_FE_wireframe-sketches_kiosk-v4_VM_1.jpg, so the
number of files would increase with each new version.

I vote for the Vicki's proposal, but at the same time I think we may need in
the future some convention to mark definitive versions -although a design is
never definitive!-. I mean versions that are "the last one" before releasing
a development.

Something like this?:

kiosk_home_DEF.ai

Cheers,

Tona

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Victoria Moulder <vmoulder at sfu.ca> wrote:

> Hi Leah,
>
> SVN assigns the date and author (person who has committed file) name to
each file - so I don think we need to include this info in our naming
convention?  Also, if we are placing the files in a directory called ...FE/
I'm questioning if would need to included this info??

muisek at gmail.com>, "Vicki Moulder" <vicki.moulder at gmail.com>, "Jess
Mitchell" <jess at jessmitchell.com>, "tona monjo" <tonamonjo at gmail.com>,
"fluid-work List" <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>
> Sent: Thursday, 22 October, 2009 12:00:39 GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
> Subject: SVN - naming convention
>

> Hi all,
>
> I thought I'd start a discussion around the naming convention for the
files we're uploading to SVN.
> Currently we're plopping things in without rhyme or reason and this can
very quickly come back to bite us.

> I wanted to bring up a naming convention Kevin thought of a few weeks
back. Here's an idea for a convention that has worked in the past for
managing files:

> Date(MM-DD-YY)_project name abbreviation_ type of work
description_title_author(s) abbreviated_version number.

> So if we were to use James and Vicki's sketches, they would be called:
>
> 10-21-09_FE_wireframe-sketches_kiosk-v4_JM-VM_1.jpg
> 10-21-09_FE_wireframe-sketches_kiosk-v4_JM-VM_2.jpg
> 10-21-09_FE_wireframe-sketches_ kiosk-v4_ JM-VM_3.jpg
> 10-21-09_FE_wireframe-sketches_ kiosk-v4_ JM-VM_4.jpg
>
> We may want to consolidate files like these into one PDF so they are more
manageable.
> Any thoughts?
>
> Best,
> Lee

Tona Monjo
Disseny d'interficies | Diseño de interfaces | Interface design
http://www.tonamonjo.com