Engage restructing proposal

Antranig Basman Antranig.Basman at colorado.edu
Sat Oct 10 01:24:08 UTC 2009

Do you mean, you will invite comments soon, or that you invite comments
that will occur soon? :P
Running the risk of jumping the gun if the former:
i) I assume that engage-client is also nested inside src/webapp as well...
otherwise I guess we would not easily be able to composite it inside
Maven.
ii) I object to the somewhat arbitrary distinction between "components"
and "services" which obscures the generally harmonious bent to the
framework :P
I guess there will in time be more to what I hope we will not call a
"service" than a single .js file, since these will have their own
configuration/manifest supplied in some JSON structure.
iii) whilst "mapping" doesn't actually contain any mapping, it does
contain a lot of useful JSON to XML benchmarking - I am guessing by
"remove from SVN altogether" you just mean "do not promote from
incubator along with the rest of Engage"?
iv) concerned about having engage client-specific framework, I've looked
over it a bit, but don't see anything particular about most of it that
insists it lives on the client, although it does touch some tags. But
this does touch a quite interesting issue that we should ponder, even if
we don't do anything about it -

Right now - all of the code we have on the server, has visibility of all
of the code we write on the client - even that large part of it relating
to DOM manipulation, DOM events, etc. that is useless. Whilst in some
sense this is not correct, I guess we justify this by noting that the
costs of loading superfluous code on the server (once per server
startup) are much lower than loading it on the client (once per page
serve). All the same, it is not great, and we should give at least some
thought to the concept of a "core framework" which consists just of
those definitions which make sense both on the client and the server. In
terms of infusion, this is not too hard, since it consists largely of
Fluid.js and the Renderer, plus or minus a few bits and pieces. So, I
think we should make efforts to ensure that as we "go forward", engage
code is designed with this in mind too - that is, parts of the code
which are "model-directed" and interact with markup only through the
renderer, and parts of code which get involved with grubby details of
DOM manipulation.