moving the website out of CMSMS

Jess Mitchell jessmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 22:01:15 UTC 2009

Dear All,

I wanted to say a few things in this thread but wanted to wait until
the kernels of corn had slowed their popping frequency.  So, here's my
question:

Can we build up our website without a CMS with the following
requirements:
	accessible
	pithy and easy to navigate
	dynamic -- audio and video are already here -- as are great Fluid
components
	easy to update for team members
	nimble -- able to incorporate new Fluid components as they come online

For me the priorities for our web presence are:
	freshened look and feel
	freshened content (incorporate Fluid Foundation work, sensibly make
clear the different Fluid projects and Fluid products)
	no downtime
	no spam
	no DOS
	an integration plan for the wiki -- folks who go to the wiki should
not "fall out of" the website
	sensible urls (e.g. fluidproject.org/demos)

So, I ask again, can we build this site without a CMS and accomplish
these priorities?  Or, as Jonathan said, will a modified Wordpress get
us there?  In other words, what is the best, lowest cost to entry
solution?

Best,
Jess

On Nov 19, 2009, at 12:20 AM, nate.angell at rsmart.com wrote:

> [...]
> others.
>
> On Nov 18, 2009, at 9:08 PM, Eli Cochran <eli at media.berkeley.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't know how useful this information is, but... I learned this
>> afternoon that the jQuery web site is going to move from a
>> MediaWiki based site to Word Press. The jQuery team claims the
>> primary reason is to manage comment spam while allowing for a
>> greater level of community involvement in their documentation.
>> Apparently they felt that the moderation tools in WordPress
>> provided them what they need.
>>
>> - Eli
>>
>> On Nov 17, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Jonathan Hung wrote:
>>
>>> I think what we choose will depend largely on what we want to
>>> accomplish.
>>>
>>> If we're looking to build custom features, deliver a lot of
>>> content, and desire a lot of control over the presentation, then
>>> Drupal may be a good choice.  (If we're ambitious and have the
>>> resources, Drupal would be an excellent choice to bring together
>>> the Wiki, and Jira into a cohesive location.)
>>>
>>> If we're looking for collaboration, then MediaWiki may be a good
>>> route?
>>>
>>> But if we're wanting something simple to get the message across,
>>> then a slightly modified Wordpress is effective.
>>>

>>> But my question is: What are we trying to accomplish through the
>>> website? The answer may help us decide what we do next.
>>>
>>> - Jonathan.
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
>>> Fluid Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
>>> Tel: (416) 946-3002
>>>

>>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Jacob Farber <jacob.farber at utoronto.ca
>>> Is there a reason we're only thinking in terms of CMSMS or not
>>> CMSMS? What about other, more powerful cms's?
>>> Jacob
>>>
>>> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Laurel A. Williams <laurel.williams at utoronto.ca
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> For some time now, we've been discussing moving the website out of
>>> CMSMS. I'd like to start a discussion of the pros and cons of
>>> doing this and also talk about some techniques we could use for
>>> accomplishing the task if we decide to do it. Here is the jira
>>> task: http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-3355
>>>
>>> Advantages that CMSMS gives us:
>>> 1) The ability to allow various community members to post to the
>>> website with specific roles such as editor, administrator, and
>>> designer. We do not take advantage of this ability right now. The
>>> only people who edit the website all have admin access and there
>>> are very few accounts.
>>> 2) CMSMS allows us to use fixed templates for the header, footer
>>> and other common code blocks so we don't have to edit and maintain
>>> common code blocks on each page.
>>> 3) CMSMS provides some add ons, such as the news pages,
>>> breadcrumbs, menu generation and rss feeds with very little work.
>>> It also provides a maintenance mode for when we are doing upgrades

>>> 1) Being constrained by CMSMS has made editing somewhat onerous