Automatic captioning for YouTube

Jen Bourey jennifer.bourey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 20:33:26 UTC 2009

Thanks for the note about this!

The transcript feature finally appeared in our uPortal account today, and I
was able to successfully upload  a transcript for our uPortal mobile
screencast.

It all seemed to work quite well; I just uploaded text file that I'd
originally read from, so it was very little work on my part.  The only
change I made was to go back and break up some of the paragraphs and longer
sentences so that the captions would be broken up a little more
semantically.  From playing around with the software, it looks like the
caption length limit is around 100 characters.

Anyway, thanks again for the heads up.  The transcript feature seems to be
well-designed and it should make it much easier for us to add captions to
our content even before auto-captions are available.

- Jen

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Eli Cochran <eli at media.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Hi Fluidistas and OpenCasters,
> I haven't read this yet, but it looks like something that everyone should
> know about:
>
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/automatic-captions-in-youtube.html
>

> - Eli
>              .