moving the website out of CMSMS

Eli Cochran eli at media.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 19 05:07:50 UTC 2009

I don't know how useful this information is, but... I learned this afternoon that the jQuery web site is going to move from a MediaWiki based site to Word Press. The jQuery team claims the primary reason is to manage comment spam while allowing for a greater level of community involvement in their documentation. Apparently they felt that the moderation tools in WordPress provided them what they need.

- Eli

On Nov 17, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Jonathan Hung wrote:

> I think what we choose will depend largely on what we want to accomplish.
>
> If we're looking to build custom features, deliver a lot of content, and desire a lot of control over the presentation, then Drupal may be a good choice.  (If we're ambitious and have the resources, Drupal would be an excellent choice to bring together the Wiki, and Jira into a cohesive location.)
>
> If we're looking for collaboration, then MediaWiki may be a good route?
>
> But if we're wanting something simple to get the message across, then a slightly modified Wordpress is effective.
>

> But my question is: What are we trying to accomplish through the website? The answer may help us decide what we do next.
>
> - Jonathan.
>
> ---
> Jonathan Hung / jhung.utoronto at gmail.com
> Fluid Project - ATRC at University of Toronto
> Tel: (416) 946-3002
>

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Jacob Farber <jacob.farber at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Is there a reason we're only thinking in terms of CMSMS or not CMSMS? What about other, more powerful cms's?
> Jacob
>
> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Laurel A. Williams <laurel.williams at utoronto.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For some time now, we've been discussing moving the website out of CMSMS. I'd like to start a discussion of the pros and cons of doing this and also talk about some techniques we could use for accomplishing the task if we decide to do it. Here is the jira task: http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-3355
>
> Advantages that CMSMS gives us:
> 1) The ability to allow various community members to post to the website with specific roles such as editor, administrator, and designer. We do not take advantage of this ability right now. The only people who edit the website all have admin access and there are very few accounts.
> 2) CMSMS allows us to use fixed templates for the header, footer and other common code blocks so we don't have to edit and maintain common code blocks on each page.
> 3) CMSMS provides some add ons, such as the news pages, breadcrumbs, menu generation and rss feeds with very little work. It also provides a maintenance mode for when we are doing upgrades (a site down message is displayed.
>
> Disadvantages:
> 1) Being constrained by CMSMS has made editing somewhat onerous for experienced web app developers. The CSS is stored in the DB in one place, the common code chunks in another, the content for individual pages in another place. The interface for editing the pages is not very user friendly for people who are used to tweaking html in text editors or using their favourite html editing environment.
> 2) CMSMS continues to evolve and updates are tricky. There is always a danger of breaking the site when we upgrade and not upgrading puts the website at risk for security flaws.
> [...]

Eli Cochran
user interaction developer
ETS, UC Berkeley