moving the website out of CMSMS

Colin Clark colinbdclark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 21:48:07 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I agree with Jonathan and Alison that it's worth taking some time to
explore our needs and use cases. This thread seems like a great place
to do that. Laurel, Jess, Jacob and others, I'd love to hear your
thoughts on how we currently use our Web site and any short/medium
term needs that you think will arise.

Here's a list of other questions and thoughts that have emerged for me
from reading this thread:

* Accessibility is not an option for us on our site--we struggle
enough with tools like Confluence and JIRA that are problematic for
many users. Let's not add any more. Our Web sites should be robustly
accessible and flexible. And also simple. :)

* Laurel, can you elaborate more on this problem with CMSMS requiring
CSS to live inside the database? Are you saying that we can't just
link to static CSS files on the Web server?

* Custom content types and feeds: it seems to me that we don't have
much need for strongly typed notions of content. Many content
management systems enable custom types to have first-class status
within the system, for example articles or calendar events. So far,
our site is generally simpler and more Webbish. Most of our content
consists of HTML, CSS, and media such as video, audio, and images. We
want to be able to more easily link in dynamic content as needed, and
ensure that we don't ever have to cut and paste markup, CSS, or code.

* In the past, we had one RSS feed consisting of news articles managed
by CMSMS. An upgrade to their News module caused the feed's URL to
break permanently, something that is unacceptable for any incremental
version update. Upon reflection, we realized that we are probably
better off to use our WordPress blog for RSS feeds anyway, rather than
to have multiple feeds. So that simplifies things a bit.

* The question of PHP vs. some custom JavaScript vs. a real content
management system really comes down to what we need and how we use it.
If we don't need access controls, news feeds, or other custom types,
what sorts of advantages might CMSMS or Drupal or other system provide
for us? Is it really the case that we just need something that can
attach headers and footers to our pages for us? Or do we need more?

* Performance and simplicity are probably essentials for a public Web
site. If we see a surge of interest or popularity, it would be great
to withstand a Slashdotting if necessary. Our community should be able
to easily and naturally update content. Static HTML, PHP, or
(arguably) super-simple JS are advantageous in this respect. That
said, if we find ourselves having to roll custom code that we could
otherwise reuse in a CMS, then we need something more robust.

What do you think? Let's keep this conversation going!

Colin