Prepping Mobile Wireframes for User Testing

tona monjo tonamonjo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 10:43:11 UTC 2009

Hi Alistair,

Great work! I've had a look at the new versions of the wireframes, and they
really look much better with actual contents.

I send you some comments below (in red):

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:12 PM, Alistair Jones <ajonesolt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi James and Tona and all,
>
> I've been working on replacing all the thumbnails and the Lorem Ipsum
> text for all the mobile wireframes from the last design.  Since I was
> a rookie with OmniGraffle, I duplicated a lot of the canvases to be
> safe, so you should see everything there.

Ok, I will review all the canvases to be sure that the new ones are corrent,
and then I'll remove the old versions.

> Everything is replaced except for home screen, where it says "icon" in
> place of the exhibitions, collections, code entry etc.  Do we have
> icons for those some where?  Should I try to come up with something?

We have no icons for these options by now. It would be a good idea if you
would try to find something, but if you need some help in this task, please
tell me.

> So all the Lorem Ipsum text is replaced, but there are still some
> things that will need to be done before these wireframes are ready for
> the user tests.  Much of it will involve some level of coordinating
> the wireframes with the evaluation plan.  For example, I still need to
> create 3 or so artifact pages that the tester's will be able to view,
> and I'll do that after I take a closer look at the evaluation plan.
> Plus I know the evaluation plan is well-along, but not rock solid yet,
> so everyone's thoughts they had over the weekend are still quite
> welcome.

I agree with you. We are working in depth in the testing protocol during
this week, so when the all tasks will be defined, we should revise the
wireframes to ensure that there isn't any gap.

> Other minor things that I thought of are...
>
> ...the "me" in the comments.  How will we handle this?  Should there
> be no "me" comments when the user begins?

Yes, the first time the user enters, he shouldn't see any "me" comment.
But in the context of the user testing, I think we could assume that the
user has sent some comment before. From my point of view, it could be
interesting to keep this icon, and to inquiry about it to the participant
after finishing the tasks related to comments, to know if he really
understands it. Do you agree?

> ...about the expanding description in the artifact view.  Should I do
> one set of the artifact pages with description collapsed + each of the
> subsections (comments, audio video, tags, etc) individually expanded
> and than another set with the description expanded + each of the
> subsections individually expanded.  Perhaps that would be overkill.  I
> hope I didn't lose you with that question.

We may have a version of the page with all the panels collapsed, and another
version with all expanded. Then we may cut these panels, to have a
interactive version where the panels can collapse/expand. Could it be
technically feasible for this mockups' testing version?

> ...the "Events" section on the "Exhibition" Page.  Does that just show
> the next single event? or all the events on that will be on that day?
> If the latter is true, we'd have a lot of unnecessary text with "Today
> at 10:00", "Today at 11:15" and maybe it should be the button should
> be Today's Events instead of Events.

It shows next events, so when there are no events today, it shows tomorrow's
or the nearest future's events.

> ...the file size of the audio and video files on the "Exhibition"
> Page. I didn't know the rational behind that.  Shouldn't all they need
> to know be the running time?  Or are they able to download to download
> those items to their hard drive.

Good remark! I'll remove the file size note, and I'll assimilate the design
of this section to the design we have on the artifact's page for the video
and audio panel.