Everyone's input needed: voting and feedback on Fluid Engage logos

Jess Mitchell jess at jessmitchell.com
Tue Nov 10 19:26:06 UTC 2009

These logos are amazing -- fantastic stuff!

I'm risking being a conversation killer, but here are a few thoughts:

F:  The dots in F are nice, but are quite abstract.  This logo is the
most popular, so I want to question a few areas I think will be
problematic.  We want to be able to use the 'Fluid Engage + image' and
sometimes just 'Fluid Engage' and sometimes just 'image'.  To do that
we need a logo that is flexible, visually representative of our
project, crisp, and clean.  For me the dots don't meaningfully enough
capture the essence of Fluid Engage as I find it too abstracted to
represent the specific project.  And I couldn't use just the dots to
represent the project both because they are too abstract and also
because they are integrated into the text portion of the logo.

L:  L, N, O, and P are variations on roughly the same logo with some
variation in fonts.  See below for more comments, but to me L captures
the essence of what we're doing, shows people engaging with each other
and with an object, shows the simplicity, depth, and can also be used
in pieces...  My choice is L.  "all for the delight of the visitor!"

N:  N to me seems to represent law, politics, or banking.  My first
thought was people were looking at the Lincoln Memorial in D.C. -- to
me, this one does not capture what Fluid Engage is about and might
even take us to another field.

O:  This logo is cute too, but it is too close to an advisors logo:  http://www.ideum.com/
  and the PIXAR lamp from the beginning of their movies.  It also
doesn't directly connect me to FE.

P:  Folks are seeing associations in this one that not only stray far
away from Fluid Engage and what we're doing in the project, but also
connect with corporate groups -- not an image we want to foster.  For
me, the 'e' does not meaningfully connect to FE and our goals and work
and does have a corporate feel:  insurance, medicine, or consulting of
some sort...

We're working on making a fluidengage.org index page and here is the
copy that will appear on that page.  With this as our guide, I think
that L best captures the project goals, the work, the outcome, and the
community.

> Blurb:
> Transforming museum content for mobile, web, and in-house
> experiences -- all for the delight of the visitor.
>
> Paragraph:
> Fluid Engage is building flexible software tools to enhance the
> visitor experience in museums and cultural institutions.  Engage
> makes it easy for visitors to connect with content, interact with
> objects, and extend the museum visit.  Prepare for a full-featured
> visitor adventure.

Best,
Jess

Jess Mitchell