Fwd: [TOS] Textbook sprints! (Next: November 10th)

Michelle michelle.dsouza at utoronto.ca
Tue Nov 10 16:26:06 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

At the FSOSS conference I attended a session on teaching open source.
There are a group of people who are working on getting Open Source
into school curriculums. I think this will be interesting to us as we
continue to grow.

They have started work on a text book which I thought may be useful
for us at some point. There are some links below to what they have
built so far. I suppose I'm pointing this out so that we don't
reinvent the wheel - as we work on our own documentation it's good to
be aware of what's already out there. :)

Of course my favourite open source 'textbook' is Karl Fogel's: http://producingoss.com/

Michelle

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com>
> Date: November 3, 2009 3:45:15 PM EST
> To: tos at teachingopensource.org
> Subject: [TOS] Textbook sprints! (Next: November 10th)
>

> Thanks to Mel Chua, Karsten Wade and Max Spevack for helping me out
> with
> our first textbook sprint on October 21st.  You can see some of the
> results in the various chapters:
>
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/PracticalOSSEngineering/IntroductionToFOSS
>
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/PracticalOSSEngineering/SourceCodeManagement
>
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/PracticalOSSEngineering/Documentation
>
> Still clearly works in progress, but we're getting there.  We're
> taking
> three hour chunks and working together collaboratively online.
>
> We'll be holding another sprint on Tuesday November 10th, from 1pm
> to 4pm.
> If any of our authors would like to participate, just let me know and
> we'll put you into the rotation.
>
> --g
>
> --
> Computer Science professors should be teaching open source.
> Help make it happen.   Visit http://teachingopensource.org.

Michelle D'Souza
Software Developer, Fluid Project
Adaptive Technology Resource Centre