Need help with FLUID-3205 (Video Player caption sync)

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Sun Nov 8 20:03:14 UTC 2009

Hey,

I'm currently looking into FLUID-3205, an issue with the new Infusion
HTML 5 Video Player component where captions appear to run out of sync
with the video in Firefox 3.5.

While I know they were working for me in the past, I can't get the Ogg
Theora-formatted videos in the final report to play at all in Firefox
3.5.5. Hit play, and nothing happens. Try this in your version of
Firefox, and tell me what you see:

http://fluidproject.org/reports/mellon-final-report-2009/components/inlineEdit.html

It appear to be an issue with the way we encoded these videos. If I
use Firefogg, a simple Ogg encoder extension for Firefox, the videos
play back great using the Video Player on my local system. The
captions also appear to be in sync with the video.

Assuming this is indeed the issue, I'm wondering if we still have the
original source videos (.mov files exported from iMovie) so that we
can correctly re-encode them as Theora? If not, we can use the H.264
versions as the source, with some reduced quality of output. Michelle,
do you have all the original movies for the screencasts kicking around
somewhere on your machine by chance?

I've fixed a handful of other issues that improve the experience and
reliability of the Video Player. Next up, we'll want to tweak the
styling and visual design of the component to make it awesome for the
new Engage site. After that, I think a "sneak peek" of the component
will be ready for inclusion in the next release of Infusion.