FE_Design_Research: Mapping

James William Yoon james.yoon at utoronto.ca
Fri May 29 18:28:55 UTC 2009

Great compilation of what other museums are doing in the mapping space. I
especially like MASS MoCA, Musee de Lyon, Musee d'Orsay, and Making the
Modern World examples.

There are a lot of things we could learn, adapt, and build on from these
real-world implementations.

For instance, in the Musee d'Orsay's implementation, they have open text
fields to the right of the map, allowing users to search by artist, title,
and other terms--something Antranig and I had a chat about while thinking
about what FE might do. But it occurs to me now that a plain text field for
searching the way they have it (and the way I thought it might work) doesn't
make sense a lot of the time: as someone unfamiliar with the specifics of
their collections and what's presently in their exhibition space, I had no
idea what I might search for that would give valuable/substantial results.
da Vinci? Dali? Pollock?--the map gave me nothing, and I got a bit
frustrated. (eventually, I found that Gogh and Monet gave results) This
suggests to me that we need to: 1. Prime the user to what they might look
for, 2. Provide pre-defined yet open exploratory paths to content, and/or 3.
Emphasize multiple avenues of getting at the content (or, as Dale mentioned,
a faceted UI).

Thanks for putting this excellent resource together, Tona!

James