mccord on iphone

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Thu May 28 22:54:36 UTC 2009

Hey,

On 28-May-09, at 9:54 AM, michelle.dsouza at utoronto.ca wrote:

> Quoting Clayton H Lewis <Clayton.Lewis at Colorado.EDU>:
>
>> If museums are to avoid duplicating all their work creating versions
>> of pages for different platforms, we should develop some way to mark
>> up what content is crucial and what is peripheral, so one can render
>> just the crucial stuff when needed (with some way to get to the extra
>> stuff, mapped onto other screens).
>
> I think there are interesting ways we can extend FSS and UI Enhancer
> to fulfill this role. Jacob has already built some support for a
> simplified layout which we could conceivably break down into smaller
> bits - say a screen per section and may render reasonably well on a
> mobile device. Clearly we will need to build in more semantic
> information on the page as Clayton mentioned above. An automated
> solution could help to reduce the resource requirement on a museum.
> Although this may not result in the perfect mobile experience, we
> would build the solution to be pluggable (as is the Fluid way) so
> that when resources exist to improve on the automated solution that
> could be done.

Good point, Michelle,

I think Clayton's idea about providing a way of tagging portions of
the overall markup with various gradations of importance has some
merit, and it's something I've been thinking about for awhile from an
accessibility/UI Options perspective as well. Clayton, I'm wondering
if you'd be interested in working with me to try sketching out a
little taxonomy for this?

 From another point of view, I'm assuming that we'll be able to treat
our user interfaces as compositions of a variety of Infusion
components, wired together to form an overall experience that is
uniquely suited particular experience. In other words, we may well
share portions of markup and behaviour between platforms, injecting
additional or specialized user interfaces as needed. This will allow
web teams working on exhibit experiences to reuse lots of the same
building blocks, but rearrange them and rework them to ensure the
experience is really finely tuned for the desktop Web, mobile, and
kiosks.