Custom build front end demo

Laurel A. Williams laurel.williams at utoronto.ca
Fri May 22 15:06:33 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Jacob and I have been working to create web-based front end for the custom build (see http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-2645). For those who are not familiar with the custom build tool, it provides website developers with the ability to package the javascript for Infusion and its supporting libraries into a single file (+ a few odds and ends), for use on their website. Custom build allows you to select the parts of Infusion that you want, rather than requiring you to take the whole Infusion package found at http://fluidproject.org/products/infusion/download-infusion/.

We have been looking at two download pages in particular to model our UI and UX: http://jqueryui.com/download and http://mootools.net/core.

We have made a small start to this task, by creating a non-javascript version of a download page, for everyone to test out and comment on. It can be found here: http://www.fluidproject.org/builder/

What it does:
The list of fluid framework elements, components and libraries is dynamically generated from the infusion dependency declarations (JSON files). The dependency requirements for the custom download are also determined dynamically. You will notice warning messages if you don't select all the required dependencies. The custom build script is run and the resulting zip file is presented to the user for download.

What we know still needs to be done:
1) Convert the interface into a full fledged Infusion component, rendered on the client
2) Improve the UX
3) Finish laying out the page into groups
4) Put some polish on the appearance

Please remember that this is a proof of concept and we know there is still lots of work to be done.
We look forward to your feedback.

Laurel

--
Laurel A. Williams