FE Design_research: Museums and the Iphone

tona monjo tonamonjo at gmail.com
Wed May 20 09:54:41 UTC 2009

As mentioned on yesterday’s design meeting, I’ve been searching some online
references about what museums have done with the Iphone.

Although I’ll continue the search (combined with benchmarking), I send you
the references I’ve found by now (even when I’m quite sure that you may know
most or all of them):

**
*Gustav Klimt exhibition at Tate Liverpool*

http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/exhibitions/gustavklimt/tour/iphone/#home
(visible on an Iphone, or using Firefox or Safari on a computer)

Contains exhaustive information about the author and the exhibition.
Although information is mainly textual, it also contains other media, as for
instance
http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/exhibitions/gustavklimt/tour/iphone/#stop11
(quicktime
documentation about pieces on the exhibition)

Also interesting is that thet user can send feedback (
http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/exhibitions/gustavklimt/tour/iphone/#feedback).
Note that the Iphone is used by the museum not only to provide information,
but also to receive it from its direct users or visitors.

More info at:
http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/exhibitions/gustavklimt/tour.shtm
http://tatehandheldconference.pbworks.com/iPod+touch+tour+at+Tate+-+technical+notes

*Moma wifi*

http://moma.org/wifi

Contains two sections:
- MoMA Audio is an audio program devoted to the Museum's collection and
special exhibitions. It contains audio tours in multiple languages.
- Visitor information. Textual information about museum hours, dining
options, visitor policies, etc.

*Cyberville*

http://kooz.net/iphone/
(Safari or Firefox are recommended)

Prototype developed by Saint Louis Science Center <http://www.slsc.org/>.
Even when it currently contains textual information and some photographs, it
may be interesting to follow-up future developments, especially for these
sections:
- The behavior station (http://kooz.net/iphone/#_behaviorstation). It seems
that it can contain an online activity that will allow user to program his
own fish.
- Nanotechnology center (http://kooz.net/iphone/#_nanotech) may contain in
the future activities, movies and other interesting resources.

*San Jose Museum of Art virtual tours*

http://www.sjmusart.org/m/

Contains museum exhibitions and artists documentation, with text, pictures
and quick time video.

Especially interesting are:
- Artists’ information (http://www.sjmusart.org/m/#_pc). Each page contains
not only textual information about the artist, but also some images that
user can click on to enlarge, and a video with the artist testimonial.
- Feedback (http://www.sjmusart.org/m/#_feedback). User can use a form to
send his feedback (similar to the case of Gustav Klimt exhibition).

More info at:
http://www.chris-alexander.com/2008/10/ipod-touch-tour-update/

*Universal Museum Media Widget*

http://museumpods.com/id360.html

Widget that can be accessed with cell phone or Iphone.

Contains, among others, the following issues:
- Audio on demand (National Museum of Australia). User can play or download
mp3 files, with contents about the museum
- Agenda (What’s happening at Providence Children’s Museum)
- Twitter (http://museumpods.com/museums_twitter.html). A Museum Twitter RSS
feed can be sent to this phone directory.

*Some other references:*

   - The voicemail Museum
   http://museumtwo.blogspot.com/2008/08/voicemail-museum-join-experiment.html

   Article about an experiment based on the use of cell phone not to serve
   content, but as a feedback device to know users’ opinions.
   - Brooklyn Museum API: the IPhone app
   http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/community/blogosphere/bloggers/2009/04/17/brooklyn-museum-api-the-iphone-app/
   In development. Not accessible by now.

Best,