mccord iphone task from design meeting

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Tue May 19 23:13:57 UTC 2009

Clayton,

I think this is a really good approach, and is in line with the
architectural shape we have sketched out for Fluid Engage.

As you say, our goal is to build entirely on a foundation of open web
technologies. Our early deliverables probably won't use location
awareness to start, so we don't have any particular need to access the
hardware of a particular device. Given this, I had been figuring that
we'd want to start developing just using Infusion, HTML, and CSS
rather than building any kind of native iPhone app.

The process would look something like this:

* Use Infusion to create artifact components using HTML and JavaScript
* Extend the Fluid Skinning System to provide graphics and styles for
a particular advice: iPhone first, but could be easy for G1, too
* Build an artifact service that handles importing artifact data and
exposing it to the components as a JSON data feed

As a starting point, the work of delivering a restyled, device-
specific version of the UI would largely be to detect the device and
deliver the appropriate FSS theme. Down the road, we can delve into
delivering different interaction behaviour depending on the device,
but the first step would be to deliver a basic mobile-friendly
experience.

In short, I strongly agree with the Web-only approach to start with. I
figure that we can start to dig into extending the FSS and building
the services/components as a community very soon. I'm especially
looking forward to hearing more from Erin, James, and Michelle after
they've had a chance to hang out with the McCord folks for a few days
later this week.

Colin