Inline Edit "remove" button & JAWS

E.J. Zufelt everett at zufelt.ca
Mon May 11 20:35:03 UTC 2009

Good afternoon,

I think that there may be some benefit to adding instructions for
screen-reader users, but I would think that they should not be JAWS
specific, as there are a number of other screen-readers in use.

As for JAWS keystrokes I would say that all of the current keytroke
available on the page are sufficient, but that there is some confusion
for any screen-reader user when interacting with a web application.

The cognitive paradigm for web interfaces, for most screen-reader
users, is one of a flat document with only html form controls.  It
will take a lot of learning and new habit formation for AT users to
become comfortable with the complex UI controls available through ARIA
implementations.

By far the most confusing aspect to me is the inline edit field being
identified by AT as a button.  This may be the best option currently
available under the ARIA spec, but the control is clearly not a button.

I would provide feedback on undo and redo, but since I couldn't find
any reference to this on the page it was like it was non-existent to
JAWS.

HTH,
Everett

Follow me on Twitter