Thursday Engage architecture chat: location awareness

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Mon May 11 15:43:29 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Here are a few notes from last week's architecture chat. The two links
at the bottom are full of interesting information. If anyone else at
the meeting took notes, please don't hesitate to send them along.

Colin

Architecture Fireside Chat #2
Location Awareness

0. Quick recap of mobile architecture
1. Context and constraints
2. Chat about our research
   - 2D barcodes + camera
   - RFID
   - WiFi
   - Bluetooth
   - Ultrasound
   - Scene recognition

Models for Location Awareness
* Tagging (e.g. 2D barcodes)
* Proximity (e.g. Bluetooth beacon)
* Tracking (e.g. WiFi, etc)

Slicing the Pie in the Sky
* Technologies
* Affordances/use cases
* Pragmatics/logistics
* web/mobile/physical (a fourth slice!)

Types
* Radio
* Vision
* Other (in this case, really just inaudible audio)

Some other linsk to look at:

http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Engage+In-Museum+Services
http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Engage+Resources