Notes from "The Everybody Fluid Engage Brainstorming Meeting"

James William Yoon james.yoon at utoronto.ca
Fri May 8 13:54:51 UTC 2009

My idea:

At the museum, visitors are given a "tagger" device, and are encouraged to
"tag" paintings, sculptures, and other objects that appeal to or interest
them in some way. At the end of the exhibit space is a very large screen
(e.g., 12' x 6') displaying a timeline of all the artifacts in the exhibit,
providing a summary visualization of the exhibition.

On the timeline visualization, artifacts are highlighted (size, brightness,
colour, glow, etc.) by how frequently they were tagged, revealing which
objects people found most interesting. A podium in front of the display
allows visitors to place their tagger device on a pad to add their data to
the visualization (or maybe this could be done automatically in the
background as they walk and tag through the exhibition).

When visitors place their device near the display (or on the podium?), all
the objects they tagged during the visit are highlighted, showing them the
big picture of the sorts of things they liked, and giving them an awareness
and appreciation of the things they experienced during their visit.
Additionally, families or groups could put their tags simultaneously on the
display, seeing the intersection of their interests, and what they liked as
a collective.

The display itself is also interactive. Touching the artifacts on the
display could pop up additional information, or show relationships to other
objects (e.g., touching a cat on the display could highlight all the other
cats of the same breed on the timeline). No end of things we could do here!

Same thing could be done with geographic maps or other visualizations
instead of timelines, and the timeline would also be available at home on
the web, and on the mobile device.

Timeline is also available at home on the web, and on the mobile device.

Potential "micro carrots":
- Implementation of a simple timeline visualization or timeline component
- Small scale implementation of an object tagging architecture