JSAN and PerlPod

antranig at caret.cam.ac.uk antranig at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 6 02:22:52 UTC 2009

Is the "Javascript Archive Network". It is inspired by (actually somewhat more
than inspired by, it is a lightly modified knock-off of) the Perl CPAN
code distribution network/system.

http://openjsan.org/faq/index.html

In particular, they have a particular distribution format
http://openjsan.org/documentation/dists.html
which among other things, it is too late for us to follow, having committed
ourselves to a directory and naming convention for the 1.0 release, but which
it might be edifying to look at. At the least, we might go so far as to
produce a "META.yml" file documenting our structure and dependencies.

They do use the directory name "lib" but for a different purpose - it holds
the actual distributed code itself rather than 3rd-party libraries as we do.
There is scope for tests, but the format of output again needs to be
Perl-inspired. There is a doc tool, perlpod - the format it accepts is
so incredibly loose that it might actually be blind to the syntactic
issues which afflict the native Javascript tools we have investigated
when they work on closures:

http://search.cpan.org/~nwclark/perl-5.8.7/pod/perlpod.pod

http://search.cpan.org/~rkrimen/Doc-Simply-0.03/lib/Doc/Simply.pm

http://bravo9.com/journal/pod-like-documentation-for-javascript-doc-simply-962f9cf2-ed93-4e27-b447-db1146b6741c/