patch for json files - jira 2648 and 2639

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Tue May 5 17:48:43 UTC 2009

Hey Laurel,

On 5-May-09, at 12:33 PM, Laurel A. Williams wrote:

> As part of the custom build front end that Jacob emailed about
> today, I've altered the json files to reflect three new fields.
>
> 1) name - a verbose name for the component - to be used on the web
> page
> 2) description - a verbose description for the component - also to
> be used on the web page
> 3) cssFiles - This isn't required by the build front end, but there
> was another jira (2639) which requested this change, so we took the
> opportunity to put those changes in too.
>
> My concern about the cssFiles field is that I got the order of the
> cssFiles correct for each component - it wasn't always clear
> (particularly in UIOptions and the FSS). Also if anyone can
> recommend a quick method for parsing the files to check that I got
> the syntax correct and didn't miss any commas, etc., please let me
> know. Possibly that task is already being performed by some code in
> fluid?
>
> The patch is posted for your review. http://issues.fluidproject.org/browse/FLUID-2648

Thanks for the patch. I've taken some time to review it, and have a
couple of comments:

  * The new "name" and "description" properties in each dependency
declaration file look good. Nice work!

  * The FSS module appears to a have a couple of problems that may
require a bit more thinking with Jacob and Michelle in the mix. I
think we probably don't want to treat FSS as one big module, but break
it up into several smaller chunks instead. Perhaps a separate module
for reset, layout, text, and themes. My rationale for this is that
several parts of the FSS are optional, particularly the reset file. If
the reset file were included without the user specifically asking for
it, visual problems will ensue.

  * The dependencies for each module should be updated to also include
dependencies on these new FSS modules.

So I'm going to suggest that you submit a version of the patch with
just the changes to "name" and "description." We'll get that committed
ASAP. We can hash out any of the issues related to adding the FSS
modules in the channel, and then when you're ready, you can submit a
second patch with the CSS changes.

Hopefully this isn't too inconvenient. Great first patch!