rfid and special visitor tracking

Aaron Brown aaron at thebrownproject.com
Mon May 4 00:26:30 UTC 2009

I've been an occasional follower of the Fluid Engage threads and an idea
just occurred to me connected with the RFID conversation.  I thought I'd
toss it out there in case it's of interest to anyone...

I know the Fluid group has a history of special concern for
accessibility and a sense of responsibility to serving all populations.
  With that in mind, perhaps another demographic element that could be
usefully tracked with RFID would be tracking the use of different parts
of a museum space as correlated with things like wheelchair travel,
deafness, and blindness.  If sensors are installed in non-exhibit places
like wheelchair ramps and elevators, for example, then the museum could
track the use of those conveniences and perhaps connect that data with
the other museum areas which were visited - How many? How far away from
the elevator? Was the museum explored differently by someone who did it
on wheels, with a walker, or with limited or no sight?

Any tracking technology which can differentiate individuals would
suffice for this, so that rules out something like simple infrared, for
example, but RFID would be ideally suited.

Just a thought...

  - Aaron

--
Aaron Brown :: aaron at thebrownproject.com :: www.thebrownproject.com