fluid-work Digest, Vol 23, Issue 71

Rachel Hollowgrass rhollow at berkeley.edu
Fri Jan 30 05:46:33 UTC 2009


+1 for Design Toolbox.

Tools generally come with instructions, e.g. guidelines and resources.

I like Toolbox because it sounds like a complete solution -- something  
an inexperienced person could spend time with, and improve their  
project.

--Rachel


On Jan 29, 2009, at 2:07 PM, fluid-work-request at fluidproject.org wrote:

> Send fluid-work mailing list submissions to
> 	fluid-work at fluidproject.org
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	fluid-work-request at fluidproject.org
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	fluid-work-owner at fluidproject.org
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of fluid-work digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>  1. RE: UX Toolkit. What? (Moore, Kathleen E)
>  2. Re: UX Toolkit. What? (Jacob Farber)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:31:22 -0500
> From: "Moore, Kathleen E" <kemoore at bu.edu>
> Subject: RE: UX Toolkit. What?
> To: "Eli Cochran" <eli at media.berkeley.edu>,	"Jess Mitchell"
> 	<jess at jessmitchell.com>
> Cc: fluid-work List <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>
> Message-ID: <E6914F76121CA746A515E8AB9DC1C6A046C831 at XMS2.ad2.bu.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I share that reaction.
>
> Kathy
>
>
>
> Kathleen Moore
>
> Web Manager
>
> Boston University School of Management
>
> kemoore at bu.edu
>
> 617-353-2685
>
>
>
> From: fluid-work-bounces at fluidproject.org
> [mailto:fluid-work-bounces at fluidproject.org] On Behalf Of Eli Cochran
> Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:24 PM
> To: Jess Mitchell
> Cc: fluid-work List
> Subject: Re: UX Toolkit. What?
>
>
>
> My concern is that "Handbook" doesn't seem to encompass the  
> "resources"
> aspect.
>
>
>
> - Eli
>
>
>
> On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Jess Mitchell wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> What about a Design Handbook that contains guidelines and resources  
> and
> how tos, etc.?  Is the former a name and the latter an explanation of
> the contents?
>
>
>
> And does the former capture enough of what you'd expect to see  
> inside in
> a pithy and catchy name?
>
>
>
> Let's let this soak for a day and see what other suggestions we get...
>
>
>
> J
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Jess Mitchell
>
> Boston, MA, USA
>
> Project Manager / Fluid Project
>
> jess at jessmitchell.com
>
> / w / 617.326.7753  / c / 919.599.5378
>
> jabber: jessmitchell at gmail.com
>
> http://www.fluidproject.org
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> +1 for Design Guidelines and Resources
>
> Being less ambiguous is better since this is clearly one of those  
> areas
> where we're touching on some terminology which is used by different
> people in different ways.
>
> - Eli
>
> On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Daphne Ogle wrote:
>
>
>
>
> I agree that "Design" is better than designer's since it leaves it  
> more
> open.
>
> 	
>
> 	I have one more to add to the list:  Design Toolbox
>
> 	
>
> 	Although as I write it I'm not sure it encompasses the best
> practices & guidelines aspect?
>
> 	
>
> 	I'm leaning toward:  Design guidelines and resources
>
> 	
>
> 	-Daphne
>
> 	
>
> 	On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Anastasia Cheetham wrote:
>
> 	
>
> 		
>
> 		I always wondered about the use of the word "toolkit" in
> this case, since what we're talking about seems (to me, at least) to
> actually include more than just tools. There is also a lot of  
> education,
> guidelines, best practices, etc., in addition to the actual tools. For
> this reason, I like "handbook" - I think it covers the broader ground
> that we cover.
>
> 		
>
> 		Regarding "design" versus "designer's," I thought one of
> the goals of the <thing> was to provide design help to a wider  
> audience
> than just designers, i.e. to also be useful for developers, etc. For
> this reason, I think I prefer "design" to "designer's."
>
> 		
>
> 		So:
>
> 		
>
> 		+1 for "Design Handbook"
>
> 		
>
> 		
>
> 		--
>
> 		Anastasia Cheetham
> a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
>
> 		Software Designer, Fluid Project
> http://fluidproject.org
>
> 		Adaptive Technology Resource Centre / University of
> Toronto
>
> 		
>
> 		_______________________________________________________
>
> 		fluid-work mailing list - fluid-work at fluidproject.org
>
> 		To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives,
>
> 		see http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
>
> 	
>
> 	Daphne Ogle
>
> 	Senior Interaction Designer
>
> 	University of California, Berkeley
>
> 	Educational Technology Services
>
> 	daphne at media.berkeley.edu
>
> 	cell (510)847-0308
>
> 	
>
> 	
>
> 	
>
> 	_______________________________________________________
>
> 	fluid-work mailing list - fluid-work at fluidproject.org
>
> 	To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives,
>
> 	see http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
> .
>
> Eli Cochran
> user interaction developer
> ETS, UC Berkeley
>
>
> _______________________________________________________
> fluid-work mailing list - fluid-work at fluidproject.org
> To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives,
> see http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
>
>
>
>
>
> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
> .
>
>
>
> Eli Cochran
>
> user interaction developer
>
> ETS, UC Berkeley
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://fluidproject.org/pipermail/fluid-work/attachments/20090129/31c92af0/attachment-0001.htm 
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 17:07:44 -0500
> From: Jacob Farber <jacob.farber.work at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: UX Toolkit. What?
> To: "Moore, Kathleen E" <kemoore at bu.edu>
> Cc: fluid-work List <fluid-work at fluidproject.org>
> Message-ID:
> 	<3a7c8e890901291407w4337d5fw8ab35da74655a42 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> I really think the whole point for this discussion, and why a lot of  
> people
> have propped up Design Handbook, is not because of what the title
> technically encompasses - its simply because its a name that's  
> likely to get
> the attention of a inquisitive visitor / designer / developer /  
> whomever and
> from there they will get to see what its all about.
>
> The real win would be to get them to take the first step and click  
> the link
> to begin learning, no matter how technically accurate the title may  
> be.
>
> I really hope this doesn't sound too blunt or heavy handed. I just  
> think
> we're getting to attached to the technicalities behind the name.
>
> Jacob
>
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Moore, Kathleen E <kemoore at bu.edu>  
> wrote:
>
>> I share that reaction.
>>
>> Kathy
>>
>>
>>
>> Kathleen Moore
>>
>> Web Manager
>>
>> Boston University School of Management
>>
>> kemoore at bu.edu
>>
>> 617-353-2685
>>
>>
>>
>> *From:* fluid-work-bounces at fluidproject.org [mailto:
>> fluid-work-bounces at fluidproject.org] *On Behalf Of *Eli Cochran
>> *Sent:* Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:24 PM
>> *To:* Jess Mitchell
>> *Cc:* fluid-work List
>> *Subject:* Re: UX Toolkit. What?
>>
>>
>>
>> My concern is that "Handbook" doesn't seem to encompass the  
>> "resources"
>> aspect.
>>
>>
>>
>> - Eli
>>
>>
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2009, at 12:24 PM, Jess Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> What about a Design Handbook that contains guidelines and resources  
>> and
>> how tos, etc.?  Is the former a name and the latter an explanation  
>> of the
>> contents?
>>
>>
>>
>> And does the former capture enough of what you'd expect to see  
>> inside in a
>> pithy and catchy name?
>>
>>
>>
>> Let's let this soak for a day and see what other suggestions we  
>> get...
>>
>>
>>
>> J
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Jess Mitchell
>>
>> Boston, MA, USA
>>
>> Project Manager / Fluid Project
>>
>> jess at jessmitchell.com
>>
>> / w / 617.326.7753  / c / 919.599.5378
>>
>> jabber: jessmitchell at gmail.com
>>
>> http://www.fluidproject.org
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2009, at 3:04 PM, Eli Cochran wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> +1 for Design Guidelines and Resources
>>
>> Being less ambiguous is better since this is clearly one of those  
>> areas
>> where we're touching on some terminology which is used by different  
>> people
>> in different ways.
>>
>> - Eli
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Daphne Ogle wrote:
>>
>>
>> I agree that "Design" is better than designer's since it leaves it  
>> more
>> open.
>>
>>
>>
>> I have one more to add to the list:  Design Toolbox
>>
>>
>>
>> Although as I write it I'm not sure it encompasses the best  
>> practices &
>> guidelines aspect?
>>
>>
>>
>> I'm leaning toward:  Design guidelines and resources
>>
>>
>>
>> -Daphne
>>
>>
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Anastasia Cheetham wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> I always wondered about the use of the word "toolkit" in this case,
>> since what we're talking about seems (to me, at least) to actually  
>> include
>> more than just tools. There is also a lot of education, guidelines,  
>> best
>> practices, etc., in addition to the actual tools. For this reason,  
>> I like
>> "handbook" - I think it covers the broader ground that we cover.
>>
>>
>>
>> Regarding "design" versus "designer's," I thought one of the goals of
>> the <thing> was to provide design help to a wider audience than just
>> designers, i.e. to also be useful for developers, etc. For this  
>> reason, I
>> think I prefer "design" to "designer's."
>>
>>
>>
>> So:
>>
>>
>>
>> +1 for "Design Handbook"
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Anastasia Cheetham                   a.cheetham at utoronto.ca
>>
>> Software Designer, Fluid Project    http://fluidproject.org
>>
>> Adaptive Technology Resource Centre / University of Toronto
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________________
>>
>> fluid-work mailing list - fluid-work at fluidproject.org
>>
>> To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives,
>>
>> see http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
>>
>>
>>
>> Daphne Ogle
>>
>> Senior Interaction Designer
>>
>> University of California, Berkeley
>>
>> Educational Technology Services
>>
>> daphne at media.berkeley.edu
>>
>> cell (510)847-0308
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________________
>>
>> fluid-work mailing list - fluid-work at fluidproject.org
>>
>> To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives,
>>
>> see http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
>>
>>
>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
>>                   .
>>
>> Eli Cochran
>> user interaction developer
>> ETS, UC Berkeley
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________________
>> fluid-work mailing list - fluid-work at fluidproject.org
>> To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives,
>> see http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> . . . . . . . . . . .  .  .   .    .      .         .              .
>>            .
>>
>>
>>
>> Eli Cochran
>>
>> user interaction developer
>>
>> ETS, UC Berkeley
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________________
>> fluid-work mailing list - fluid-work at fluidproject.org
>> To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives,
>> see http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
>>
>>
>
>
> -- 
> Jacob Farber
> University of Toronto - ATRC
> Tel: (416) 946-3002
> www.fluidproject.org
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: <http://fluidproject.org/pipermail/fluid-work/attachments/20090129/8826688d/attachment.htm 
> >
>
> ------------------------------
>
> ___________________________________________________
> fluid-work mailing list fluid-work at fluidproject.org
> To unsubscribe, change settings or access archives,
> see http://fluidproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fluid-work
>
>
> End of fluid-work Digest, Vol 23, Issue 71
> ******************************************

__________________________
Rachel Hollowgrass
Senior User Interaction Designer
Information Services and Technology
University of California at Berkeley

UX Architect for Kuali Student project
http://student.kuali.org/

rhollow at berkeley.edu
(510) 332-6120
__________________________


__________________________
Rachel Hollowgrass
Senior User Interaction Designer
Information Services and Technology
University of California at Berkeley

UX Architect for Kuali Student project
http://student.kuali.org/

rhollow at berkeley.edu
(510) 332-6120
__________________________






More information about the fluid-work mailing list