Date Picker Design iteration for Fluid Design Team meeting Tues.

Allison Bloodworth abloodworth at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 28 22:37:51 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for all the helpful feedback at the design team meeting
today! Here is what Erin and I are currently planning to do based on
your suggestions. If you have further thoughts, feel free to let us
know, or just respond to this thread.

We plan to remove the yellow highlight of the currently active section
(e.g. hours, minutes, AM/PM) of the Time Picker because it may make
users feel like they *have* to fill it in, and there may also be
accessibility issues with it appearing to give focus to an element
which isn't really in focus.
We feel there should still be an option for a combined date and time
picker in one field, as that is important in more than one Sakai
context and we had great feedback on the combined field/tabbed Date-
Time Picker in user testing. If it tests poorly after it's
implemented, one option would be to display both the date and time
picker at once (next to each other) without any tabs. This would cover
a lot more of the screen, but if it was a necessary tradeoff to ensure
users could understand how it works, it may be worth it.
Mike, could you let us know if after thinking about this more, you see
accessibility issues with the tabbed time picker?
Due to the fact that people may enter the different fields in the Time
Picker in any order (e.g. AM/PM could be first), we will close it only
when:
the user clicks outside the time picker,
the user tabs or presses enter while the time picker is open, OR
the user clicks on or selects (e.g. with the keyboard) something in
Hour, Minutes, and AM/PM if a 12-hour picker, or Hour and Minutes if a
24-hour picker
We will put 'Noon' above the text field for 12:00pm and 'Midnight
(start of day)' above the text field for 12:00am. The idea is to
prevent errors with users not realizing that midnight is actually
considered the start of the day instead of the end. There is also a
slight amount of ambiguity between midnight and noon, which this will
also resolve. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock)
When there is an interactive prototype (or early version of the
component) available, we'd like to recommend testing:
whether the tabs of the combined/tabbed Date-Time picker are
confusing. If so, we may want to consider other design solutions for a
combined Date-Time field.
whether users have problems figuring out how to close the time picker,
especially if they are only selecting or changing one or two of the
three options. We could test this by asking them to change a time from
4pm to 5pm, for instance. If this causes confusion, we may want to
consider putting the close button back.
whether there is a way to provide an accelerator to users of the Time
Picker so they can only click one or two things and it will close
(E.g. if values for Hour and AM/PM are selected, in any order, but not
Minutes). At this point we don't feel we have enough information to do
this and be sure it wouldn't be severely jarring for some users, so
we're erring on the side of caution.
what a user does when they are asked to make an assignment due at 'the
very end of the day.' Do they enter 11:59pm or midnight? Do they enter
midnight on the *correct* day? If not, we may want to consider adding
a message which is displayed the first time someone selects midnight,
letting them know this will actually be the beginning of the selected
day.

Thanks again!
Allison & Erin

abloodworth at berkeley.edu