Testing CSS + FSS

Jacob Farber jacob.farber.work at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 18:31:41 UTC 2009

Hi Everyone,

The past while it has become more and more pressing that FSS has some form
of testing. Through some research and long discussions it has become evident
that this is not going to be easy. Some ideas bounced around were automated
image comparisons and programmatic CSS parsing but no solution was feasable
within our time-constraints and nothing completely removed the need for
someone to just open a page and see if it "just looked right".

On that note, Justin and I were thinking perhaps a wireframe overlay on top
of special test page would suffice for now. The wireframe would look
something like an outline like Adobe Illustrators "outline" mode, and it
would layer itself on top of the test page content. If the wireframe and the
content beneath it didnt match up perfectly, you would know something is
broken right away and bug could be logged. To complement this test page, a
series of smaller pages would be available to test very specific chunks of
the FSS CSS. This second part would help us pinpoint where specific problems
lie.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

Jacob