VULab 0.5 - SVN Branch? Tag?

Carl Forde cforde at stormlantern.ca
Tue Jan 27 06:52:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:19 PM, electBlake <electblake at gmail.com> wrote:

> rather then a patch. I understand a branch as making a copy of the trunk (or
> a release) and developing it independently of the version in the trunk.
> Do we tag? Do we branch?

The short answer is that while the mechanisms, internal to svn, are
the same for branches and tags, the semantics for them are different.
Think of tags as named point-in-time versions. Something you can
always and easily get back to. Branches are for active development
independent of the mainline stream on the trunk. The setup looks kinda
like this:

Trunk: changes to the main development source
Branches: changes related to a particular feature/bug/release, usually
merged back into the trunk
Tags: significant milestones, no development occurs on them, archival points

Carl
--
Start by doing what's necessary;
then do what's possible;