VULab 0.5 - SVN Branch? Tag?

electBlake electblake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 00:19:15 UTC 2009

This week I really need to get the 0.5b version of VULab isolated in
the svn so I can start using the trunk for this new framework, but I
am unsure as to what to recommend in terms of file structure.

The Situation
- Long Version: VULab 0.5 development is being put on hiatus and may
potentially be stopped forever. We are doing this because are
developing a radically different version of VULab using the CakePHP
framework at its core. Because the sites are so dramatically
different, patching from 0.5 to 0.6 seems impossible and an import is
what I believe to be the best course of action.
- Short Version: I need to get the 0.6 framework - CakePHP - into the
SVN but I want to preserve the VULab 0.5 in SVN as well.

The Problem
- VULab 0.5 is not going to be changed until further notice, BUT it
may be in the future - this makes me learn away from tagging the
version.
- VULab 0.6 is nothing like the original version and will be an import
rather then a patch. I understand a branch as making a copy of the
trunk (or a release) and developing it independently of the version in
the trunk.

Do we tag? Do we branch?

I know we are all busy so I don't want to stir up too much
conversation but, a general consensus from those more experienced with
svn would be awesome!

Thanks!
- Blake