Whats Your Development Env. ?

Colin Clark colin.clark at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 26 23:54:31 UTC 2009

Blake,

I haven't done a ton of server-side development in a while, but in the
past I've preferred to have a reasonable development environment set
up locally on my laptop that mirrors my deployment environment
closely. So in your case, a working Apache/PHP/MySQL stack configured
similarly to your server.

At that point, you should be able to develop directly in a working
copy of your code checked out from SVN, testing in a realistic
environment throughout. At various stages in your dev workflow--
perhaps after getting a new feature committed to SVN--you may also
want to sync up your server and test there as well.

Colin